Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How the desperate housediva gets sunburned, in a car ride from a hospital just days before her wedding, and is beet red.

I will admit that I happen to have some of the palest (I like to say alabaster,) and most sensitive skin I've ever met but the events that transpired to leave me, beet red, 4 days before my wedding are a little bit too ironical for my taste.  Seriously.
It all began when I placed an order online at an upscale skincare site (askderm.com.)  I ordered my usual products-a face wash that I simply adore (the IS clinical facial cleanser) and the glycolic acid pads that my dermatologist sells at a 100% markup.  Unfortunately for me this company chose to ship these articles with a free sample of a 'new product for sensitive skin-' a soothing crème.  Well, let me tell you, I usually am unable to try free samples as they are not marketed to sensitive skin like mine.  I was thrilled at the opportunity!  I tried this cream for 2 days in the evening) a rather light application, and ended up with HIVES all over my face and chest for a week.  No, this is not a joke.  2 weeks before my wedding and HIVES.  eeeeewww.  Since that episode I have been a bit weary of most of my skincare products.  With that in mind I have been using a lighter-than-usual application of my beloved La Roche Posay anthélios fluide extrème SPF 90.  Bad move on my part.  Really, really bad.  Because after our trip to the hip doctor on Monday I woke up on Tuesday as read as a sugar beet.  I had been in the car all day, mind you, which is why my right arm is also beet red and my left its usual 'cream with peaches' tone.  So, I am now, 4 days away from the big day, more of a 'lobster and cream' than 'peaches' on my face, chest and RIGHT UPPER ARM.  Sexy, eh?
As my ancestors would say, "Oy Veh!"
I'm hoping that copious amounts of water, aleve, and Aveeno's calming cream will bring me closer to my natural hue.  Professor Hubs is a big fan of my new rosiness, and he's the one I'm marrying, so I am certainly in luck there...

In honor of cooling the heat within (and potentially on your face) I give you a refreshing combination of the delicious Israeli and Balkan Salad recipes

BALKAN/ISRAELI SALAD
3 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, diced
2 tomatoes, seeded, diced
2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion 
1 Tbsp chopped dill 
1 Tbsp chopped mint
1/2 cup (or more) feta cheese cut into small cubes
3 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper

Enjoy!  And wear sunscreen next time!

1 comment:

  1. This sensitive skin business is totally genetic! I try a new product? HIVES. I get nervous? HIVES. I get excited? HIVES.

    I'm sure by saturday you will be back to your usual gorgeous rosy flush!

    And if not, you can always just rock an asymetrical sequined bolero jacket over your wedding dress to cover the arm. I hear they're making a comeback, and readily available at Goodwills nationwide.

    ReplyDelete