Friday, July 24, 2009

Secret Blackberry bushes and the lessons that accompany them

The other day on our way back from the gym Hubs and I discovered several gorgeous blackberry bushes in a little wooded glen.  I figured these blackberries, hidden from the nearby college dorms and a bit more from a residential street, would be perfect for picking and immediately commenced inspecting the bushes for the most succulent fruits.  As I leaned in to pluck, Hubs grabbed my hand.  "Don't you know that these are the PEE bushes???"  Apparently I did not, as I was about to eat the fruit off of them.  According to Hubs, the strategic placement of these bushes makes them perfect for a secret pee spot for men who've had a few too many and can't quite make it to the loo...  I guess my magical blackberry glen was less than...  This led to a long and detailed analysis of what kinds of berry bushes are safe to eat from and which bushes are most likely to be peed upon.  It was quite an education and I fear that my previous lack of knowledge may have at some point led me to partake in soiled berries....   eeeeeeeewww!!!!  

Upon our return home I decided to give up the berries (though I'm still hoping to dig up some of those bushes and put them in my garden) and try an adaptation of a Mario Batali recipe I'd read when searching for new and exciting uses for all of the gorgeous swiss chard we'd been buying at the Farmer's Market.  The following is an instant classic-we LOVED it and will be making it for the rest of the chard season.  It is a light and crispy 'tart' using the chard, egg, parmesan cheese, and panko bread crumbs and it is truly a multipurpose dish-it could be a brunch offering, a light lunch main with a tomato salad, or a side dish for a big fish dinner.  
I really couldn't recommend it more highly-the light and crispy crust formed by the olive oil and panko crumbs is so pleasant and the mustardy taste of the greens epitomizes why I love chard so...  Enough of my waxing poetic:

SWISS CHARD TART: PASTICCIO DI BIETOLE AL FORNO (adapted from Mario Batali)
2 pounds Swiss chard, washed and dried
Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 onion, cut into thin rounds
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 large eggs
S&P
1 cup grated Parmesan (I prefer to grate myself as it makes for a moister product)
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (plus a bit extra)

Preheat oven to 350
Cut chard into bite sized pieces (discard stems)  add to salted & boiled water, cook for 12 minutes.  Drain thoroughly.

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium, add onion and garlic, cook 5 minutes (until golden brown)  Add chard.  cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat and cool.

While the chard mixture cools, wisk the 3 eggs with salt and pepper.  Add the grated parmesan.  
Use about 2 Tablespoons (enough to well coat) the bottom of a 8.5-9 inch baking dish (I used a cake pan) Dust the bottom of the oiled pan with half of the panko crumbs-until the entire bottom of the pan is evenly coated with crumbs and you can't see too much of the bottom of the pan.  

Combine the cooled chard mixture with the egg-parmesan mixture.  Pour into panko-crumbed pan.  top with remaining crumbs.  

Bake until the top is golden brown-in my oven this took 35 minutes, but it could take up to an hour.

Serve hot or room temperature-Buon Appetito!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment