Monday, July 13, 2009

Irrational fears

Oddly enough, the hardest part about moving from NYC has been the absence of my amazing voice teacher.  I find myself so afraid that in being away from his teaching I will lose my technique and that all of the hard work we've done together of the past 18 months will disintegrate into bad singing.
I should clarify-I see Maestro 2-3 times a week in NYC where I am subjected to such pokings and bruise-inducing proddings that I have some "'splaining" to do to the Fiancé.  But let me tell you, I have never in my life made more progress nor had a more clear understanding of good singing than under my Maestro's tutelage.  Through him I have found my voice and I do NOT want to lose it after it took so many years to find!  The problem is that I am still not fully 'cooked' in this technique.  I have another several months to go before I can go back to a 1-2 lessons a week schedule.  So, here I am playing a bit with snippets of my new arias but mostly just singing scales until the time comes when I am ready to use my newly acquired skills for true music making.  And now that I am here, away from his supervision, who knows when that will be...
Starting in September I will be returning to my NYC abode monthly for an intense week of daily lessons and photoshoots.  Hopefully I will able to continue my progress during these short bursts of vocal instruction.  
Until then I have tame my type A personality into just being comfortable with where I'm at vocally at this very moment and to sing using the tools that I have TODAY and not worry about what I believe to be my current shortcomings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment