Saturday, August 8, 2009

Wedded Bliss

It's official-in front of the 60 pairs of eyes belonging to our nearest and dearest; under God, and according to the laws of Judaism and state of Michigan, Professor Hubs and I are officially married.  It was a beautiful wedding-in my (biased) opinion it was the most beautiful wedding I've ever seen or attended...  Just perfect.  The weather was clear, warm with a light breeze and no clouds in the sky.  It was a small, elegant gem of a wedding and it was so much FUN!  In spite of this I cried from the time I got in the car to ride to the ceremony to the end of the speeches so I may look a bit puffy-eyed in the wedding photos.  Apparently I am one of "those" brides-the emotional kind.  I just felt so overwhelmed by the heightened emotion of it all.  I know that my poor descriptive skills will never begin to unravel the intricate web of emotions I felt.  It's just so HUGE.  It's something one's thought about since childhood and planned for so long (in my case, the last six months) and to actually be living through each of the moments in sequence as they happen, to be feeling the excitement, the expectation, the joy, the love, the sadness for it to be passing and to be experiencing such a rite of passage, the stress and anxiety of planning the details...well,  as I said before:  It's huge.  I think it's something I won't completely understand for a long time-perhaps years.  Which is alright, I suppose.  Now that the wedding is over I have nothing BUT years...a lifetime, in fact.  Wow.  Huge.  
We returned home to Midwestia two days ago though I'm still in such denial that I've barely unpacked.  But even decompressing and dreamy-headed newlyweds must eat.  So, in honor of wedded bliss I've decided tonight is the night to cook five of my beloved SQUASH BLOSSOMS [!]  I first experienced them while living with a family in Italy and they completely flabbergasted me with their delicate deliciousnes.  Thanks to Mama Farruccio I have a rough recipe that I've been playing with for a few years:

FIORI DA ZUCCA FRITTI
(fried squash blossoms)
10-20 squash blossoms, rinsed, dried, de-pistilled and de-stamened
1 cup flour (all-purpose)
1/3 cup sparkling water (or beer, or club soda)
1/3 cup white wine (or just double whatever other liquid you're using)
one egg white, beaten to soft peaks
good frying oil (DO NOT USE OLIVE OIL FOR THIS IT WILL BURN.  I'm using canola today...)

Combine all of the batter ingredients (flour, sparkles, wine, egg white, salt) into a smooth batter.  Let it sit for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate for a few hours.  Then bring it back to room temp.  
In a dutch oven or similarly deep cooking pan heat 1-inch oil.  All of the experts say to around 360-75 degrees, but I just say until it's not smoking or spitting, just before that :)
Dip your blossoms in the batter, add to oil, 1 at a time.  Cook unti golden brown (about 2 minutes.)  Remove with slotted spoon onto a paper towel.  You can also keep them warm in a 350 oven if you are making loads of them for later...  Though they really are best fresh out of the pan.
We are going to eat them with a green salad, a garlic-lemony pasta dish and the chard tart of a few weeks ago...  I think It's a good night for my beloved sauvignon blanc or one of the gorgeous bottles of champagne we have from the nuptial celebrations...

Buon Apetito!!!



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    And those blossoms look too beautiful to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mazel Tov, Tzeitl. I love you infinitely xx

    ReplyDelete