Sunday, July 19, 2009

Adventures in Midwestern shopping-a study in contrasts

The last forty-eight hours provided me with a sort of dichotomy of shopping adventures.  On Saturday, I found myself, for the very first time, in a Big Lots superstore.  For those who like me (until yersterday, that is) have not visited this establishment let me give you a little sense of the place-picture every single thing in your home.  Got it?  Great.  Now, picture every single thing in every home you've EVER LIVED IN.  Yes, that's right, those old STAR WARS toys, the RAINBOW BRITE lunchbox, the David Cassidy tote bags, all of it.  Now, imagine all of that stuff from decades past on sale in one store at ridiculously low prices and this is Big Lots.  AMAZING!  During my visit I was shopping with a decidedly different bunch of people than I've shopped with in recent years.  Let's just say the mullet is not dead in this town, nor is it worn only by ironic hipsters, it's worn in complete sincerity, but I say even the be-mulleted love great deals.  
On Sunday Hubs (as the fiancé will hitherto be referrred even though he won't officially be so for 2 weeks) and I went on a 90 minute drive to one of the main cities of this states and found quite a shopping mecca.  This place means business.  It looks like a European mountain town; outdoors with all adorable brick buildings, outdoor cafes, shops, trees, a piazza, etc, except it's all upscale retail and dining.  Across from this literal TOWN of shops there is a neighborhood of new brownstone houses that would have been completely at home in my West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.  It's a bit odd-in this suburb you are in a simulacrum of upscale urban living when ten minutes outside you're back in Midwestern farmland-Amish and all.  Though we didn't buy anything I liked feeling inconspicuous in this postmodern shopping universe-the shoppers at this 'mall' were of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, etc. and for the first time since moving to this part of the country I didn't feel like I stood out by looking and dressing differently.  

In the spirit of duality I give you two salad recipes, one sweet and salty, one herbal and crisp.  Both serve 4.

WATERMELON SALAD
1/2 a watermelon, cubed
3 Tbsp chopped mint leaves
1/2 cup-3/4 cup feta, cubed (depending on your taste...perhaps start with less and add more if you like)

mix all together-Enjoy on a hot summer's evening!  It's wonderful with grilled yummies...


DESPERATE HOUSEDIVA'S GREEK SALAD
1.5 heads romaine lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces
small handful chopped dill
small handful chopped mint
1/4 cup greek olives (I don't like pre-pitted olives, but use what you like)
1/2 cup cubed feta cheese (less if you are not as into feta as I...I'm a cheese fanatic)
12 grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 large cucumber, peeled, cut into thin rounds
1/2 red union, cut into rings (optional)
Sea salt and pepper to taste

combine the above ingredients, then add dressing:


DRESSING  (this makes too much, use sparingly and add more to salad as serves your tastes)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 nice olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
sea salt and pepper


whisk together the above ingredients until well blended, then add to salad.
I love this dish as part of a nice summer's lunch with Hummus and pita chips, etc...




No comments:

Post a Comment