Saturday, July 18, 2009

Scenes from Ohio

We've had some rather bizarre interchanges since moving here.  As of today I still can't quite grasp the fine line between Midwestern friendliness, flirting, and being rude.  One example of my inability to understand these distinctions occurred in the first days following our arrival.  I was leaving the public library and a rather shaggy and vagrant-looking fellow asked me if "that was my motorcycle parked next to his."  I thought he was just being friendly, so I answered, "why yes, how did you know?"  (note:  I do NOT own a motorcycle.)  His reply was delivered in such a creepy tone it is impossible to embody in words, "because I know when I'm being flirted with.  Do you need a ride?"  EEEEeeeewww!!!  Then he followed me as I drove off, on aforementioned motorcycle until I called the fiancé and ignored the motorcycle-riding suitor...  Needless to say, I have not returned to the public library since this episode-a shame, really.  
I really need to get the hang of the appropriate tone of rapport in this part of the country.  Every time I go to the grocery store I feel the stares of the Mennonite men as though I'm wearing a bikini!  Probably this is just my own narcissism, as I doubt they are really all staring, but it feels like they are!  
In the spirit of Narcissism, I am going to share one of the simplest recipes that I am particularly proud of.  It's my version of Sole Meunière and it's the best.  See, it's so good it feeds my narcissism...

Sole Meunière
(note: you do not need to use actual filet of sole for this recipe.  I use whatever sweet white fish is on sale, be it cod, haddock, sole, etc...)

Serves 4

1 lb sweet white fish filet (Sole, Cod, as you like...)  separated into 4 pieces.  
 1 cup flour
s&p
4 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp Olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon, plus a dash of zest
3 Tbsp capers, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
bit of parsley (optional)

(depending on your pan size, you may have to cook in 2 batches)

Dredge fish filets in mixture of flour, salt and pepper.  
Heat half of butter and Olive oil in a skillet on med-high heat.  
Add fish filets.  
Cook on one side until ALMOST cooked through, then turn.  
lower heat to Med.  
When fish is opaque (after about 2 minutes) remove from pan, and cover to keep warm as you make sauce.

Sauce
Return pan (with fish crumbles) to heat.  Add the rest of the butter.  Use spatula to pick up crumbles.  When butter is melted, add shallots.  When shallots are translucent, add capers.  Then lemon juice.  If not using wine, just cook for a minute or so.  Then top fish with sauce!
If using wine, add that now, and a bit extra butter.  Wait until alcohol smell has cooked off.  Then top fish with sauce and, top with parsley and enjoy!!!




2 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog. Love the recipes! I've linked to you.

    Seems to me that you're successful in everything you set out to do, so conquering Ohio should be a piece of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Susan! I've been reading your fabulously entertaining and honest blog for ages, it's time for me to join!

    ReplyDelete