Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day

Last night was the first Independence Day fireworks display I have seen in probably 20 years.  The inhabitants of the entire town and its environs all gathered on the local High School's soccer field and watched silently (for the most part) for 30 minutes of dynamite splendor.   It was really nice.
Today I have been thinking a great deal about my own independence.  I was left to my own devices much of the morning as my fiancé went about his schol
arly duties in his office.  I'm so used to filling my time with excitement in New York-with meeting up with friends, voice lessons, window shopping, etc. that I don't actually give myself any time to think.  Now that I'm here and I have nothing but completely unstructured time I need to learn how to be productive in my contemplation.  In other words:  I need hobbies.  I have a few work related things that are necessary every day (practicing for at least an hour, photo retouching, working out, cooking elaborate dinners) but that is not enough to keep a person from going crazy.  I'm thinking of taking up
 painting.  Or planning a recital to perform here in the fall.  Any ideas???
I've never been good on vacations at simply RELAXING.  I always have a suitcase full of novels to keep my mind occupied.  I think I need to spend some time learning to appreciate the lack of social stimuli here in Ohio.
In my attempts to utilize my large and fabulous kitchen here and to keep myself out of trouble here are a few recipes:
Yesterday's Farmer's Market was fabulous and I came home with an abundance of fun fruits and veggies to play with.  I am particularly excited about the beets (with greens attached) and the Swiss Chard.  Oh, and I've never had actual black raspberries before, only blackberries.  They are amazing!
Here are two recipes I'm making tonight inspired by yesterday's bounty:

BEET AND ORANGE SALAD
3 beets, roasted, peeled and sliced
1 Orange,  3/4 sectioned, cubed, juice of the last 1/4 reserved (with none of the pithy white stuff)
Feta Cheese crumbles
Chopped mint
E.V. Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Arrange beets on a serving platter.  Top with orange cubes, feta crumbles and chopped mint. make a dressing out of the reserved juice, a bit of olive oil and some s&p to taste.  Enjoy!!!


My Blitva (Croatian Swiss Chard)
Bunch of Swiss Chard, washed, cut away from stalk and into 1-inch strips
White or yellow potatoes, boiled until tender, drained, still warm.  Skin on, cubed.
Garlic cloves, chopped (I always use a lot of garlic in my recipes, like 3 to 4 cloves for this, but if that seems insane to you, cut back a bit)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
S&P

In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil on med-hi, add garlic.  After the garlic becomes fragrant, add the chard strips.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until well wilted.
Remove from heat.
In a large mixing bowl combine cubed potatoes (still warm,) with the chard and garlic mixture.  Add up to 1/2 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper until you get a nice, mash of all the ingredients.  This is AMAZING as a side dish to fish, meat, omelettes, whatever.  I just love blitva.  

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment