Saturday, July 4, 2009

If I can make it there...

For as long as I can remember I wanted to live in New York City.  Growing up in suburban Michigan I hadn't had much experience with Urban landscapes or living, but I believed that New York was where our country's cultural landscape was richest, where the lights of Broadway celebrated the names of the great stars, and where, to quote Frank Sinatra, "if you can make it there, you can make it ANYWHERE."
Throughout my time as a Classical Voice major in Music School (still in Michigan, mind you) I had the opportunity to spend a few months in Paris, a few months in Italy, some time in London, but when graduation came I had my ticket to the greatest city on Earth:  New York, NY!
I have now lived in New York City's West Village neighborhood for six years and let me tell you, I know this city like the back of my hand.  For example, I am the girl my friends call when they need a restaurant recommendation in an unfamiliar part of town.  I am the girl for whom other girls look to for inspiration on how to love this huge dark city of towers because MY New York is a loveable, inviting village of adventures and treasures.
During my tenure as a New Yorker I never sang on Broadway (though I auditioned for several big named shows and got callbacks...eh, I guess that's not the same...) nor did I sing on the Met stage (YET, I say, YET) but as the nature of New York life goes, I made it.  I was a success in my New York life.  I have amazing friends, an amazing network of musical geniuses with whom I cultivate my craft, I have a fabulous West Village studio apt., and I have relationships with shopgirls at several chic boutiques (secret sample sales are AMAZING.)
And then I fell in love.  The real kind.  The kind of love the moves mountains, ends wars, and causes true New York divas to move back to the Midwest.
And here's where the blog begins.  As I, Desperate Housediva, having 'made it' in New York now tries to cultivate a happy married life in Suburban Ohio.  Let me tell you ladies and gentlemen, it's going to be an adjustment.

2 comments: