Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Midwest BBQ

I'm so excited.  In a few hours we will be viewing the new Harry Potter movie!  Though I am by no means literary myself I am a nerd about all things literary (well, most things literary...) and as such I decided to celebrate Mr. Potter's premier with a Midwestern Barbeque.  Because I can do that now.  Because I live in the Midwest.  However, I do not currently own a grill.  How, you may ask, are you planning on grilling without any kind of grill?  Easy.  With my trusty grill pan!  
The grill pan is one of my favorite cooking tools.  Mine was a gift from my wine/foodie brother.  It's calphalon.  It's nonstick anodized aluminum.  And it's awesome.  It will never fully replace a gas or charcoal grill, this I admit, but it comes pretty close to that grill taste.  You can use it on the stove or in the oven, which is excellent.   I love the grill marks it gives my creations and it's really easy to clean.  The one caveat:  DO NOT forget it's been in the oven and grab the handle like an a** as I do almost every time.  No really, I am that oblivious.
Tonight's meal includes such wonders as BBQ chicken (on the grill pan, and pretty self-explanatory,) Claire's Limey-Avocado salad (not to be missed) and a homemade black raspberry (yes, I'm already obsessed) and peach crisp.



Black Raspberry and Peach Crisp (note:  You can literally substitute just about any fruit that you think would be good in a crisp here...alternative ideas include blueberry nectarine, plum blackberry, Cherry...whatever you like!)

About 1 cup fresh or frozen Black Raspberries  (better with fresh)
About 1 cup fresh or frozen Peaches, pitted and cut into cubes (I used 2 peaches)
Juice of one lemon (equivalent to 2 tablespoons juice)
1 Tablespoon brown sugar and a pinch to be used later
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons Whole Wheat Flour (you can use white but I like to pretend I'm healthy...)
4 Tablespoons oatmeal (rolled oats)
2 tablespoons melted butter (you can also use canola oil if you prefer to make it dairy free)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Vanilla Ice Cream/yogurt (optional)

Heat oven to 350
In a large bowl mix together (gently) the berries, the peaches, the lemon juice, the TBSP brown sugar, and the vanilla.  Put in a greased baking dish or some little greased ramekins.  In another bowl, mix together the Whole wheat flour to the nutmeg (this is where to include that extra pinch of brown sugar and perhaps a little bit more vanilla) with your fingers until a moist clumpy goodness is reached.  Top the fruit mixture with the clumpy topping.  Bake for 15-20 minutes until fruit bubbles and a nice golden brown on top.
Top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!


Claire's Limey Salad (this is one of my 3 favorite salads in the world) 
serves 4

SALAD
1 avocado, cut into cubes
1/2 sweet pepper, chopped
about 10 grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 can sweet corn (unsalted)
1/2 can black beans (drained)

DRESSING
Rose's sweeted lime juice
Champagne vinegar (Apple Cider vinegar is a nice substitute)
Olive oil
S&P

Combine all of the salad ingredients.  Mix with equal parts olive oil, rose's lime juice and vinegar (I use one capful of each) and some salt and pepper.  ENJOY!




2 comments:

  1. yay for summer recipes! and (belated) congrats on the engagement, lady (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you to the fabulous Lady Elle (who's compelling blog is now being followed by the Desperate Housediva) I hope you are having a fabulous time in NYC!

    ReplyDelete