Monday, April 5, 2010

Zucchini Pie




Last night Prof. Hubs and I prepared a Spring feast dinner: Pasta with Asparagus & Lemon, eggplant rollantini, and this zucchini pie.
One of my favorite family recipes, and perhaps one of yours as a few friends have told me they grew up with it as well, (it must have been in some publication back in my grandmother's day) is the Zucchini Pie. My grandmother and mother have made it for as long as I can remember. It's a delicious vegetarian entrée, a lovely appetizer or just a great addition to any spring meal. And it's a great way to use up any zucchini or squash you have in the house. Those of you who don't like cheese needn't worry-the parmesan included doesn't over-power the flavor, it more adds depth and richnes. The pie has a nice bit of puff and lightness and I personally prefer it thinner than thicker (cooked in a larger pan=more crisp outer layer. mmmm....) Actually, my favorite way to enjoy this pie is in little cupcake servings!


ZUCCHINI PIE
3 cups shredded zucchini (or a mix of zucchini and summer squash)
1 small onion chopped finely
4 eggs
1 cup bisquick mix (or 1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried marjoram (opt.)
1 tsp chopped parsley (opt.)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Pour into lightly greased 10X6 pan (or 12 inch pie plate or cupcake tins.) bake for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned.



closeup of deliciousness




No comments:

Post a Comment