Saturday, April 24, 2010

Indian Food Week: Part 3, Finale

Last night's performance of THE MAGIC FLUTE was a success (though a rather long evening for the audience-Prof. Hubs is a truly dedicated fan to stay through the whole thing-the show finished around 11:20!) I am looking forward to the freedom I experience in a few days time when the score of the opera finally winds its way out of my brain-I literally have it running through my mind at ALL HOURS. It could be worse. Thankfully it's Mozart as opposed to Gilbert & Sullivan, but it would still be nice to have some peace in that mind of mine.
Today I round out this week of Indian Food posts with a wonderful recipe for Chai Spiced Rice Pudding (Kheer) very loosely based on a recipe by Alton Brown. It's a great way to rid yourself of extra cooked rice (especially fragrant basmati) and a delicious finish to an Indian (or any) feast. It's also easily customizable to suit your diet-dairy free? OK! Just use soy or all coconut milk and it's vegan and it is also naturally gluten free as written.

MASALA CHAI RICE PUDDING
1 cup cooked rice (I like basmati)
1 cup milk of your choice (I used 2%)
1/2 cup half-half (you could instead use cream, milk, soy...whatever!)
3/4 cup light coconut milk (or regular...as you like)
up to 1/4 cup of sugar (I used about half that...I don't like it too sweet)
1/2 tsp ground cardamom (this is expensive, I know...but it is SO. SO. GOOD.)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of ground clove
1/4 tsp ginger
pinch of black pepper

In a large saucepan, combine milk and rice. Heat until just boiling, then lower heat and add simmer until the mixture begins to thicken slightly (about 7 minutes on my stove.)
Add the cream, coconut milk, sugar and spices and cook until the mixture starts to thicken again, about 10 minutes stirring occasionally with a wisk. When mixture begins to thicken remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Serve at room temp. or cooled.
Feel free to add garnishes like raisins, pistachios, cinnamon, etc.
Enjoy!
(Note: Indian rice pudding is a bit soupier than the American variety.)

No comments:

Post a Comment