Thursday, April 15, 2010

Favorite Tchotchke Peddlers...

I am suffering from an acute upper-respiratory infection so sadly no recipes today. I made chicken tikka masala last night which I couldn't taste at all from a lack of sense of smell which made me realize I'm currently not fit to tell anyone about cooking. Today whether it's chocolate to curry it all smells like matzo ball soup to me. Quite frustrating and quite odd...
I've recently been amazed at how much Yiddish has made it into the modern English vernacular. Even here in Midwestia I'll overhear people use words like "schlep" without a second thought. I really do think this is a new(ish) phenomenon-perhaps thanks to tv shows like SEINFELD and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM. No matter how it happened I love it. No more strange looks from (non-Jewish) friends when I swing around words and phrases like "bubkes," "kibbitz," and "mensch." In the last year I almost squirted water out of my nose from pleased laughter when a (non-Jewish) Utah-raised friend said "Oy. this is not kosher" in response to a sticky situation she was describing.
Which brings me to tchotchkes. Tchotchkes (Typically pronounced as "Chach-Kee") are fun trinket-like knick-knacks. And I love them. I think it's in the same family as the love of stationary/school supplies and whatever impulse it is in me that causes me to swoon at the home accessories section of an Anthropologie store.
I would like to use this post to share a few of my favorite websites for procuring such goodies. I invite you to comment at the end of this post with your own favorite tchotchkes and/or where you like to go to look for them...I'm always on the prowl for new tchotchke peddlers...

THE DESPERATE HOUSEDIVA'S FAVORITE TCHOTCHKE STORES

Patina
It's amazing the kind of fun bits one can find here and for so little! I purchased a much beloved sparrow necklace, some snarky luggage tags, and monkey key covers from this gem. These brightly patterned mugs and decorative-packaging teas? I'm completely coveting them.

The Paper Source
I discovered this spot through purchasing some of my wedding accessories here. I am especially loving the matryushka (Ukranian nesting dolls) measuring cups, the japanese papers, and the cupcakes apron (and my birthday is next month...) If you need any stationary for anything they'll do a gorgeous job-they can also set you up with some phenomenal DIY projects...

Uncommon Goods
I am flipping out over the julia child birdhouse, the make-your-own mozzarella kit, and the leaf umbrella. Julia child birdhouse!!?? Amazing.

Target
Target is the motherload of cute, affordable tchotchkes. I recently redid my living room using a few of those LIBERTY OF LONDON pillows and some inexpensive, gauzy curtains. And don't even get me started on the adorable vintage looking apothecary jar.... I can easily spend an hour in target. Or two hours...

World Market
I love the international foods section of world market. Gorgeous chocolates, preserved moroccan lemons, and every spice imaginable... I appreciate the inexpensive and extensive wine selection but I especially love the front part of the store which sells TCHOTCHKES.
Today I am particularly coveting the adorable vintage clocks and the handmade ceramic drawer wood chests. I am a sucker for brightly painted tiles.


Anthropologie
My dream home is a cross between a Tuscan villa and an Anthropologie store. Seriously. I worked at Anthropologie for about 3 months when I first moved to NYC. I don't think many pay checks actually made it out of the store-that 40% employee discount did me in considerably...though my apartment and I were styled to utter, faux Parisian perfection.
Today on my Anthro wish list are the deck the halls necklace, the white narcissus mirror, and the two gardens pitcher. I could go on for days...

2 comments:

  1. I grew up calling them knickknacks, but now prefer gee-gaws. Whatever you call them, these are great picks! Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gee-gaws! I've never heard that one before!
    Thanks for the well-wishes-I'm upping the chicken soup this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete