Monday, April 26, 2010

Red Velvet Dreams



Honestly, I feel guilty posting this recipe. First of all, it's so trashy-it goes completely against my usual whole/real/foods approach and utilizes not one but two boxed convenience foods. Secondly, I actually got up at 5:40 in the morning today to attend a 6 am spinning class and instead of posting a virtuous salad recipe I'm paying forward a sugary confection...and yet here I am, sharing with the internet world my favorite recipe for Red Velvet Cake. The one saving grace of the recipe is that instead of the usual oil added to a cake I find that using plain applesauce improves the homemade flavor and texture (no dry cake here!) I suppose the other saving grace is that it comes together in no time at all. Who knew you could put together a moist and delicious multi-tiered cake so quickly!

If perhaps you are wondering why I am sharing a red velvet cake recipe of all things it's because last Thursday I had a dream about a red velvet cake (welcome to my life) and couldn't stop thinking about eating one. Having little time (I was in the midst of rehearsals/performances of FLUTE) I decided to try to make a box cake taste delicious... And I did. It's really good.

RED VELVET CAKE
1 box duncan hines red velvet cake mix (I can't believe I wrote those phrases!)
1 cup water
1/3 cup unsweetened plain applesauce
3 eggs
1 box instant chocolate pudding

Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Stir for about 2 minutes. Some small lumps are ok. Pour into prepared (greased) pan(s) and bake for:
2-8'' pans (35 minutes)
2-9'' pans (30 minutes)
13''X9'' pan (35 minutes)
24 cupcakes (19 minutes)
Making sure to check that a knife or toothpick comes out clean.

When cake has cooled completely, frost! I like to use a homemade cream cheese icing (sometimes with coconut,) but many prefer a boiled white frosting or a vanilla buttercream.
And most importantly, if you are going to eat cake-really savour it! do it with joy and without guilt! Bon Appetit!








1 comment:

  1. Seriously... you need to stop writing about things I can't possibly get where I live! :p Instead, I sit at my desk, wishing my computer had Wonka-vision! I'll have to settle for the fitness class.

    ReplyDelete