Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ice Cream Dream





from our friends over at www.AriellePhoto.com


Lately, I've been attempting to be very good about using up leftover ingredients. My new rule is if I am going to buy a specialty ingredient (rosewater, gelatin sheets, heavy cream, etc.) I must also think of at least one other way to use it. This lead to yesterday's culinary activity-Strawberry Ice cream...from scratch. I had over a pint of leftover cream from a cake recipe I made last week (the Gotham Bar and Grill warm chocolate cake) and I needed to use it this week before it became a science experiment in my fridge. I also had purchased an abundance of strawberries as they have been practically giving them away at my local market. So naturally, it was ice cream time. I recognize that most people probably don't have an ice cream maker. I don't either, but I do have an ice cream mixer attachment for my stand mixer-which is awesome. I apologize if you have none of these toys-if that's the case then I recommend picking up a pint of Haagen-dasz, sitting down in front of the computer and eating it as you read this post...

Ice cream is really simple to make. So is frozen yogurt. It's fun and an incredibly delicious thing to do on a hot day (yesterday it was 80 degrees here in Midwestia!) But I warn you, this is the real deal-real cream, real eggs, real vanilla, a bit of real sugar, etc... It is R.I.C.H. so a little goes a long way-but that's how I like my ice cream. Also, if feeding this ice cream to children please use those special salmonella-free eggs as the egg in this recipe is not cooked, it is frozen.



REAL STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped into small bits
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 eggs (the salmonella-free, pasteurized kind, please!)
3/4 cup of sugar divided into 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup
2 cups Heavy cream...yup...the real deal...
1 cup of Milk (I used 2%)
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Allow to rest in the fridge for about 1 hour-until pretty pink juice is released.
In a separate mixing bowl beat the eggs until foamy (about 3 minutes if doing by hand)
add the 1/2 cup of sugar, milk and vanilla. Add the strawberries and their juice. Mix well. Slowly add cream until just combined. Pour into mixer and follow manufacturers instructions. Enjoy!!!

(Ice cream made with eggs will keep for about 3-4 days.)



No comments:

Post a Comment