Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What to do with Leeks that isn't soup

Recently, I have been purchasing vegetables I don't cook often and playing with new preparations for them. The latest of these is the Leek. Something like a mild, overgrown green onion, the leek is most well known for its place in potato leek soup. Making a big pot of soup is not something I felt up to this weekend...I'm just beginning to come out of my post-NYC shell of laziness. So a quick pasta dinner (or side dish) is more my style. This is a variation on one of my favorite lazy time/quick dinners.


Quick Pasta with Leeks (for 2)
pasta for 2
Whites of 1 leek, cut into thin rounds
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
olive oil
chopped Italian parsley
s&p
grated Parmeggiano Reggiano

While you are cooking your pasta in a different pan, in a large sautée pan heat olive oil on Med-High. When oil is hot, add leeks and garlic. When fragrant and golden, add breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Cook for 2 minutes, add lemon juice, parsley and s&p. Toss with cooked pasta, cover with LOTS of grated cheese and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment