Monday, October 26, 2009

Traditions




It's been a week since my last trip to NYC and I'm just now starting to feel normal again. These trips to NY are sooooooo exhausting! I manage to pack in an entire month of work/lessons/socializing into one week which makes the subsequent week back in Midwestia a time of recouperation, i.e. I watch a LOT of daytime tv...
One of the few things that gets me out of my decompression state is baking. It somehow seems more relaxing than regular cooking. All of the scooping, measuring, and stirring are quite therapeutic in their quiet and repetitive ways. Most of my cooking is very instinctual, even the measuring, so to actually acurately measure out a teaspoon of something is a regimented change to the cooking status quo. This past weekend I baked TWO of my Nana's apple cakes-one for some friends and then, because that one turned out nicely, one for us!
There's something about an old family recipe that makes it better than any other-there's the knowledge that it WILL turn out delicious and then that first bite, completely full of memories. This cake is like that for me and I hope it will become a family tradition to those of you who choose to bake it...

Nana's Apple Cake recipe (a traditional Jewish Apple cake)
4 C. peeled and sliced apple
4 Tb + 2 C sugar
3 C reg flour (sometimes I actually use half or all white whole wheat flour)
1 tsp salt (I usually add a teensy bit extra)
4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 C canola oil
1/4 C orange juice


Preheat oven to 375
combine apples, cinnamon, the 4Tb sugar and set aside. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and the 2 C sugar in large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and pour oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla. Beat until well blended.
Grease 10'' tube (fluted) pan ( I like to use that PAM baking spray with flour in it.)
Spoon 1/3 of batter into pan. Make a ring of 1/2 apple mixture (DRAINED OF EXCESS MOISTURE) taking care not to have apples touching sides of pan.
Spoon another 1/3 of batter on top.
Make another ring of remaining apples & top with remaining batter. Bake for 1 1/4 hours or until done. Cover top with aluminum foil if it begins to overbrown.
Allow to cool to lukewarm before turning out onto serving plate.
Freezes well.


No comments:

Post a Comment