Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mushroom Goodness

As is evident from my lack of posts in recent weeks, I have not posted in a while. The recent past found me in NYC for another whirlwind week, back in Midwestia for a minute, off to Michigan, then to Toledo, then to Midwestia, then to Detroit, then...well, I've been travelling. Now that I'm back (at least until Thanksgiving, when I will travel for food) and have gotten a chance to decompress for a day, I'm ready to share some amazing culinary treats!
In the next few posts I would like to concentrate on recipes that require little time but reap big results-as in delicious results. The first of these is my mushroom goodness recipe. I originally came across a form of this concoction in a BON APPETIT magazine from several years ago. In that incarnation it was used as a topping for pizza. Since first appearing in my kitchen it has since made waves as a pasta topping, a polenta topping, a chicken topping, and of course, a pizza topping. It's really, really wonderful. Prof. Hubs doesn't really like pizza but since he tasted the mushroom goodness he requests it regularly.
I like the whole wheat pizza dough recipe in the NEW BASICS cookbook best, but feel free to use your own, or the premade balls of dough available at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and grocery stores everywhere... Then top the pizzas with obscene amounts of fresh mozzarella and grated parmigiano reggiano.


MUSHROOM GOODNESS
based on a recipe from Bon Appetit

E.V. olive oil
2 onions, cut into thin rings
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 package mixed mushrooms (or regular button mushrooms, or shitakes, or...well, you get it.)
1 minced shallot
1 cup dry white wine
large pinch of dried rosemary
s&p

In a large sautée pan, heat oil over med-high. Add onions and sautée for 15-20 minutes, until well caramelized (browned, sweet smelling and translucent.)
Remove onions from pan. Add more oil to pan. Add mushrooms, shallot, garlic and rosemary. Sautée for 4 minutes. Then add wine. Cook until alcohol smell is gone and majority of liquid is absorbed. S&P to taste.

Now top your pizza/pasta/polenta, etc.
(cook pizza at 500 for about 10 min, until cheese is bubbly)

Bon appetit!!!



1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the mushroom goodness on the pizza!!! YUMMY! you are a goddess in the kitchen as in life. xoxo

    ReplyDelete