Saturday, October 17, 2009

Return to pastoral life

Last week was another New York work week for the desperate housediva. I can't remember the last time I've been so busy-I had so many voice lessons, photoshoots, appointments, meetings, reunions, study sessions, and meals between my arrival in La Guardia airport and my arrival in Midwestia airport that it felt like one non-stop, really long day (as opposed to 7.) I am possitively exhausted and in serious need of decompression time. Luckily, in between the practicing, studying, and photo-editing that's what I have.

This trip back to NYC I tried to make sure I enjoyed flavors I am unable to procure here in Midwestia. Here are the first 10 that come to mind:
1. Raspberry bran muffin from BirdBath (owned by the incomparable CITY BAKERY)
2. Chocolate chip cookie from the aforementioned CITY BAKERY
2. Some raw milk Comté-one of my favorite cheeses of all time.
3. An inexpensive dinner of Moroccan/Israeli treats at Café Mogador in the East Village
4. A ridiculously cheap vegetarian lunch at The Hummus Place
5. Some good Thai food, in this case the Pad Kee Mao at Room Service in Hell's Kitchen.
8. Tart Korean frozen yogurt with fruit (pinkberry, red mango, yogurtland, etc...)
10. a Dosa dinner-mmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosa

Basically, I ate my way through the week. Easy to do in any city, especially New York. I have a suspicion that most people who've lived in a place for a number of years have memories from each street corner... In New York I have that but with food.

I'm making a Georgian feast tomorrow night-Georgia like the Eastern European country, not the state (though I DO love grits...) I'm looking forward to sharing some recipes, especially for my twist on Khachapuri, THE yummiest cheesebread I've ever had.





No comments:

Post a Comment