Monday, February 7, 2011

Perfectly perfect whole wheat pancakes (and part II of the Desperate Housediva's DIY home decor diaries)


As chronicled in my last entry, I have begun some DIY home decor projects over the past few weeks. I love the process of scouring the Internet for ideas/inspiration but at the same time I find it utterly overwhelming. So many color combinations! So many possibilities! But I feel a strange pressure; once I commit to an aesthetic then it is locked in (until I decide to do a decor overhaul...)
So that kind of stresses me out (I'm easily overwhelmed, apparently...) Not to mention the fact that my blue fabric wall was a total bust. It made the room look really small...and kind of college dorm-y. So that was a 'no.' But, not to be discouraged I am now on to new projects. I will soon be able to share my dresser decoupage before and after photos-love it! I'm just waiting on the pretty vintage glass drawer pulls...
After all of the stress of redecorating (I say this with a huge amount of sarcasm, as I realize most people wouldn't be stressed out...just me...because I'm a wimp...) I decided we needed some comforting food. Really comforting. Like pancakes. But still healthful and nutritious. And these pancakes were perfect. They are so delicious, so tender! And they come together practically instantaneously :) I love that!




Whole Wheat Pancakes
based on a recipe by Heidi Swanson of 101cookbooks.com

2 cups white whole wheat flour (or unbleaced all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/4 cups buttermilk (or 2 1/4 cups skim milk with 2 1/4 Tbsp white vinegar, left to sit for 10 minutes)
2 large eggs
butter for pan (and/or for serving)

Fresh Fruits, Organic Maple Syrup, Greek Yogurt, or whatever else floats your boat on delicious pancakes.

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Stir all the ingredients until they are just combined. Don't worry if the batter is a bit lumpy, you don't want to over mix.

Heat your skillet, pan, or griddle to medium-hot and brush it with a bit of butter. Test for the right temperature. If a drop of water dropped onto the pan starts to dance, you are in the ballpark. Pour about 1/3 of a cup of batter into the skillet. Wait until the pancake bottom is deep golden in color, then flip with a spatula and cook the other side until golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Serve with a golden pat of butter and plenty of berries and syrup.

Makes about 12 large pancakes, or dozens of silver-dollars - enough to feed a small crowd.


Dreaming of Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment