Saturday, February 12, 2011

Desperate Housediva | Ikea Dresser Decoupage and chair Makeovers: Before & After

As it's literally freeeezing out these days and I haven't the fortitude nor the wherewithal to face the frigid temps, I have been working on our Midwestia nest. The latest nesting projects I've taken up are the boring/ugly Ikea dresser I have in our room and a chair that lives in the living room that needed a serious makeover. Let's start with the dresser. It was your typical, white, boxy, boring Ikea dresser. Reliable enough, I suppose, but entirely without personality.
It never reflected my taste, it never felt like my own and it always stuck out like a sore thumb amidst the vintage-y bohemian style of the room. Hence the decoupage makeover.
Literally, like five year ago, my friend Meredith (who is an insanely talented singer/actress in addition to a truly inspired and creative decorator,) upon hearing me complain about said dresser, advised that I decoupage it and add pretty drawer pulls, thus making it my own. At the time that seemed like more work/commitment than I was up for. But the idea stuck in my head. And last week I finally did it.
Using some gorgeous decoupage paper from Cavallini (featuring vintage postcards written in French,) some ModPodge glue, and some Anthropologie-style vintage glass drawer pulls I remade this un-inspired piece of furniture into an ecclectic part of the room's vintage/bohemian aesthetic.

It may not be your style, but perhaps it can inspire your own decoupage adventures. Decoupage is really fast, easy (directions can be found HERE) and surprisingly fun and relaxing.

BEFORE


AFTER


Closeup of drawer pulls

Closeup of one of the vintage letters


Closeup of the photos of my late Grandparents in photos from the late '30's, early '40's that live on the dresser.



2 comments:

  1. fabulous!!!!! love the postcards and the choice of glass pulls - so very, very you. and thanks for the lovely compliments. takes one to know one. ;) xo mz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arielle, I love this idea!! Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete