Monday, January 31, 2011

Desperate Housediva | Brass chandelier makeover Part I


Living in a rental space can be frustrating for many reasons. The more superficial of them being the lack of freedom to make big design changes. The space in which Prof. Hubs' and I live here in Midwestia has very little to recommend it, design-wise. It's a very boring layout, with white walls, and little to no charming architectural details. I think the best thing about the space's design is the large, exposed brick wall, and the worst would definitely be the tacky '70's brown kitchen cabinets and stove-ick!

I've lately found myself very interested in breathing new life and style into our home where I can. Therefore, the next few weeks will feature posts about my DIY changes around our space. The first of which deals with the eyesore of a brass chandelier which was hanging in the kitchen over our table. I thought I was stuck with this hideous light until I perused several DIY design blogs and learned about this great way to makeover an old brass chandelier.

Here is my chandelier before:


Here it is after, though still in the middle stages of the makeover. I still need to add some hanging do-dads. I'll update you next week. Still, I find it to be a HUGE improvement.
I can't decide whether or not to also add chandelier shades. Any ideas?

There are 2 ways to makeover your chandelier. I did the more stupid way, because I didn't want to take down the chandelier and spray paint it, blah blah... So instead, I cleaned the chandelier well and then hand painted 3 coats of white latex, satin finish, paint. I'm very happy with the result. Home DIY makeover part I in progress!
Future projects include:
-applying French letters to my dresser (decoupage) and replacing the drawer pulls with pretty Anthropologie replacements.

-adding do-dads to chandelier

-applying a 12'X8' blue photographic backdrop to a living room wall of the same size (as I cannot paint, but I love a fabric wall!)

-repainting and reupholstering 4 antique chairs for our kitchen (which I picked up for a total of $60!)
-repainting several vintage frames and lamp bases in fun colors.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! and I like it sans shade, can totally see it with a bit of glitz added. kudos to you on home diys, I'm constantly perusing them and never actually have the will to dive in!

    ReplyDelete