Sunday, December 12, 2010

Breathing...and the world's greatest brownies...



When I started this blog it was a way to keep myself occupied as I made the transition from a New York City single girl to an Ohio housewife. It was also to be something of a record of our first year here in Midwestia and a place to share recipes old and new. I kept it up pretty regularly for a year but then something happened:
I didn't need a blog to keep me busy anymore. I was busy already. Somehow life and its engagements caught up with me-I was so busy I didn't quite know what to do with myself. Suddenly, instead of a respite from my nebulous days it became yet another thing I needed to do in my ever-increasingly scheduled life. So I took some time off the blogging. I checked my priorities. I re-checked them. I decided to focus on family, on health, on re-invigorated my photography business, and several other things, but you know what? I missed my food blog :) And so did you, internet, so did you! I have had so many people, acquaintances, relatives, and friends (both flesh and internet) ask me to start posting again that it's been really awesome. So here I am. Breathing and blogging. And cooking...

I hereby re-instate the Desperate Housediva food blog with the world's best brownies!
My favorite brownies in the entire world would be the Zingerman's Magic Brownies, no contest. Though the La Brea bakery in LA comes in at a distant second (they're quite delish.)
When I worked at Zingerman's in college I must have eaten two of these gorgeous chocolate bricks a week (at least.) They are more of a cakey, dense chocolatey and nutty brownie than a goey, fudgie one, but to me that's part of what makes them so good.
This recipe is obviously altered from the real recipe in that it's made for home cooks to produce one pan of perfect Zing brownies and not a commercial amount. But I must say the flavors don't suffer one bit. I really feel like they are as good as the real thing, especially if you use the highest quality ingredients you can get your hands on (and in Midwestia that's not nearly as high as most anywhere else!)



The Zingerman's Magic Brownies.
(no, they don't have anything "magic" in them, you junkies, you! They just contain delicious chocolate, lots of butter and wholesome goodness throughout!)

Ingredients
13 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
6-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups sifted cake flour or all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1-1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted

Directions
1. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a heavy small saucepan, heat the butter and chocolate in a double boiler, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until lemon-colored and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed until combined, scraping sides of bowl. Stir in walnuts. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes or until brownies appear set.

3. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Makes 15 servings.



1 comment:

  1. Those look amazing! If only I could get my hands on an oven here in Japan!

    ReplyDelete