Thursday, December 16, 2010

Resolutions and a completely awesome recipe for Enchiladas

Happy New Year!!!!

As far as resolutions for 2011 go, does anyone have any good ones to share? I'm considering some of the following:

1. Be better about accessorizing. No, seriously. I never wear jewelry (except for my wedding ring) and I am always impressed by people who can accessorize well. It really takes things up a notch or two and I would love to learn the art of styling/accessorizing with panache.

2. Be better about keeping touch with my friends all around the world-even the ones close to home. I really tend to get lost in my own little nest of domesticity and I miss out on hearing about my friends' adventures (large and small.)

3. Write more. In general. More letters, more blogging, more emails, more stories, more journal entries, etc.

I'm sure starting tomorrow most of us (myself included) will be trying to cook nothing but steamed chicken, brown rice, and vegetables and will be working out for at least an hour seven days a week (as is usually the case around New Year's.) And yet, for some reason I thought that this recipe for New Mexican Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas (given to me by my fabulous friend and native New Mexican, Angelica) was a perfectly festive, fun, easy, DELICIOUS way to ring in the new year. I just love this stuff. And if you have leftover chicken from a roast, etc. it comes together so quickly- in single digit minutes. Then you can stick it in the oven and have time to go work out or something :)


Angelica's New Mexican Chicken Enchilada Casserole

10 ounces cream of mushroom soup (Note: This is the first time in my life I have
ever done one of those "soup" recipes-I never thought I would, nor did I think
I would LOVE it.  But it's good to be less snobby about food, right?  And you
could always buy the organic, reduced guilt kind, right?)
1/4 cup chopped green chile** (canned is ok, but not as awesome)
 1/3 cup milk  (I use skim)           
 1/2 cup chopped onion 
1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken     
 cooking spray 
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)                
12 corn tortillas 
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt/garlic flakes 
3 cups grated cheddar cheese (I use the reduced fat pre-shredded stuff but I say go for the 
real stuff and no guilt!)

Preheat oven to 350. 
1. Heat cooking oil/spray in a heavy pan at medium-high heat. 
2. Lightly warm each tortilla in the sprayed pan to soften. 
3. Heat the soup and milk over medium heat on the stove top and then
add the cooked shredded or diced chicken, garlic flakes, and green chile to taste.
4. Alternate ingredients in a lightly greased, 2-quart casserole dish,
   beginning with the tortillas, then cheese, then a sprinkle of onions 
and then a layer of the soup mix and repeat. The top layer should have            
 the last layer of tortillas with some cheese sprinkled on top.
5. Cover casserole dish with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for 25-30    minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment