Friday, March 26, 2010

Homemade Cardamom Spice Granola


After a brief flirtation with Spring, Winter has returned to Midwestia. I woke up this morning to several inches of snow. This inclement weather has, so far, prevented me from accomplishing many of the tasks on today's to-do list. Instead, I decided it was the perfect day to create the ultimate granola recipe...
Here is what I like in granola: a bit of spice, a bit of sweet, a bit of salt, a bit of nuttiness, a bit of fruitiness...
Here is what I've come up with:

DESPERATE HOUSEDIVA'S CARDAMOM SPICE GRANOLA
4 cups rolled oats
up to 1.5 cups chopped/slivered almonds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar (or 1/4 cup brown sugar plus 1/4 cup honey-if using just sugar, dissolve it in a few TBSPs hot water before adding)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 (or up to 1 tsp depending on preference) tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
up to 1.5 cups dried fruit of choice (I like dried cherries or dates best)

Preheat oven to 325. In a large bowl, combine oats, salt, almonds, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and brown sugar until there aren't any brown sugar lumps. Then add oil, honey (if using,) and vanilla. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if you like.

Spread onto a lightly greased jelly roll pan. Bake until golden brown, for about 25 minutes total with frequent (about every 6 minutes) turning of granola with spatula.
Allow to cool and then add fruits.

ENJOY!!!

2 comments:

  1. This really is the best granola I've ever had...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this when I get home! Thanks for the inspiration to get back to granola!

    ReplyDelete