Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green, for St. Patrick's Day




Yeah...so...(sheepishly digs into ground with toe) it's been a while...
I have been completely missing in action from the blogosphere for the last 3 weeks. I blame the city of New York-it is completely consuming to be there for a week. Upon my return we were blessed with a few really beautiful days in Midwestia...then a trip to visit my parents...and then just general lack of motivation, which is the real culprit.
However, in all of those excuses something wonderful happened:
Cilantro pesto.
Though obviously not a traditional Irish dish it's so green and fresh I think the Irish would really approve...at least, the Half-Irish Prof. Hubs approves, and that's the Irish vote to which I'm pandering.
I have been putting this stuff on everything. It's delicious on steak for a sort of Argentine preparation. It's gorgeous on seared sea scallops. It would work on chicken, fish, tofu, pasta...In fact, it's really quite wonderful on everthing. I invite you to prepare it and let me know how it works best in your opinion.
Last night I made it for professor hubs on perfectly seared sea scallops, whole wheat couscous, roasted asparagus, and a green salad. It was amazing. In fact, I can't get over how well the whole thing turned out.

CILANTRO PESTO
adapted from Gourmet

1 medium garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup good extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1/2 a lime
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Put all of these things into a food processor and go to town until desired consistency-I like a saucy pesto, you may prefer slightly thicker.
Yum.
Put on everything savory. How GORGEOUS and GREEN is this stuff!!?!



SEARED SEA SCALLOPS
Sea scallops
Soy sauce
Sauvignon blanc (or other dry white wine)

If your scallops are 'wet' wash them dry well. If they are 'dry' skip the washing and drying step.
Put scallops in a large bowl, combine 1 part soy sauce:3 parts wine until scallops are covered. (With my 14 scallops this amounted to 1/4 cup soy, 3/4 cup wine.)
Allow to marinate for 20 minute-1 hour. When ready to sear, remove from marinade and make sure they are not dripping with excess liquid.

Heat a bit of butter and a bit of vegetable oil in a large sautée pan over high heat until it starts to sizzle.
Add a few scallops to the pan, making sure not to crowd them, which would steam them and not sear them (I cooked six scallops at a time, spaced well apart in a huge pan.)
DO NOT MOVE THEM FOR 2 MINUTES! After that point, turn them. You should sea a gorgeous brown crust. Cook for 1 minute on this side. Then remove from heat and place on serving dish as you do the next batch(es) until done. I add a smidge of butter for each new batch. To serve drizzle some cilantro pesto on top. They are PERFECTION.

How gorgeous are these!! (my new fancy schmancy lens doesn't hurt the photo, either...)


Just in case you are not a seafood person here's a look at the sauce in action on some slices of flatiron steak:


(this photo was taken with an old lens...look how much better the scallops look.)

No comments:

Post a Comment