Thursday, November 19, 2009

Healthy side dish idea for Holiday feasts and beyond!!!

In general, I don't like cauliflower. I think it goes back to the years of boring veggie trays at various school events (I also don't like that plastic-tasting ranch dressing that comes in tubs that often accompanies those trays.) In my entire life thus far I may have only enjoyed this pale cousin of the broccoli prepared 2 ways-the first is a roasted preparation with salt and pepper (because I believe that just about every vegetable is delicious when tossed in olive oil, salted, peppered and roasted...) and the other preparation is as a flavorful substitute for mashed potatoes which appears at the end of this post.
I am always looking for ways to incorporate different vegetables into my diet which is what drove me to give cauliflower a whirl in Midwestia. I also love comfort foods and I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to enjoy lighter versions in a healthy way. (It is due to the latter that I often substitute whole wheat flour for white or agave nectar for honey/sugar. I don't cook with fake sugars like splenda: I don't like the taste and I mentally feel less satisfied if I know that I am not eating actual calories-Although I am guilty of hypocrisy in this matter because I have been known to use butter-flavored crisco sticks to make my famous ginger cookies...and I really can't think of anything LESS natural than butter-flavored crisco stick) With that in mind, here is an all-natural recipe for delicious cauliflower mash:

Rich & Creamy (and garlicky) parmesan mashed cauliflower
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 head garlic
handful parmesan
2 large dollops sour cream
S&P

Remove papery outer shell of garlic head. Wrap garlic in foil. Roast head of garlic in foil in oven at 400 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, squeeze out yummy roasted garlic from clove.
Wash and cut cauliflower into florets
Boil cauliflower in large pot of water until tender (about 10 minutes)
Drain really, really well. While still hot, combine with sour cream, parmesan, roasted garlic, and s&p. Puree mixture in Food Processor, Blender, etc. until the texture resembles that of mashed potatoes.
Enjoy as a low-carb, starch free, veggie side dish!


No comments:

Post a Comment