Monday, August 24, 2009

First Days

Monday was the first day of school here at the College in Midwestia.  It was the first 'first day' I have experienced in quite a while as my own schooling came to a halt after my graduation from The University of Michigan.  You see, I am taking a class at the college.  A Philosophy class.  In my years at UofM I never had the opportunity to take anything other than classes which fulfilled my music degree requirements and the odd foreign language class here or there.  So, now, almost ten years later, here I am, sitting with all of the hormonal 18-year olds in a class on Plato and Aristotle.  I could  feel the excitement of the students from the moment I stepped onto the well-manicured green of the college grounds-I had forgotten how important it all seemed at the time.  I remember my own years of "first days" and the planning and anticipation that accompanied them.  "What would I wear?  Would I have someone to sit next to at lunch?  Would I go into the wrong class?"  When I look at the students around me today I feel for them-I remember how high the stakes seemed at the time.
In Monday's class I was struck by the awkwardness of the sexual politics in the room-how the boys tried to impress the girls and how mis-directed it seemed to me now.  If a grown man said to me today "I have always wondered what human flesh tastes like" as a pick up line I would most certainly walk away.   And yet, here, in college, one of the boys definitely tried that gem on the unsuspecting girls of the class.  Let's hope he learns more than ancient philosophy during his time at College or the poor guy will never have any luck with the ladies...
Now, the recipe I am sharing today will not answer his inkling (re:flesh of humans) thank goodness, but it is a wonderful quick and healthy meal that I make when I am pressed for time and want to find a good way to eat the kale I'm always buying in order to up my greens intake.  I think that I owe this recipe (in variation) to my friend Becca Jo, a wonderful singer/actress and fellow gastronome, who made this for me some years ago...It can be made vegetarian (without the sausage) or vegan (without the cheese and sausage) but I like it with both sausage and cheese...
This recipe is done in the time it takes to cook the pasta!

PASTA WITH KALE (AND SAUSAGE)
dry, short pasta (penne, fusilli, etc.)
Bunch kale, de-stalked, washed and broken into bite-sized pieces
3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
olive oil
chicken sausage, broken up into bits 
red pepper flakes
white wine (optional)
lots of grated parmeggiano reggiano...

As you are cooking the pasta, heat garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil over med high.  As garlic begins to brown, add chicken sausage.  Cook for 3 minutes.  Then add Kale.  Some extra olive oil may be added now or a splash of white wine.  Cook until kale is bright and wilted.  Toss with pasta, add heaps of grated parmeggiano-Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment