Saturday, December 26, 2009

Wisdom from my Mother-In-Law



Prof. Hubs and I just got back from a relaxing holiday visit with his family. We saw movies (Avatar in 3d is so wonderful!!! Young Victoria is a gem!) read, relaxed, went for walks, bonded, and feasted our way through the days...I think just about every meal we ate in the last seven days included pie of some kind... I'll really need to do some detoxing in the new year (and my posts will reflect this so keep checking in.)
In addition to being a brilliant professor, scholar and mother of four, my mother-in-law is a really good cook-the intuitive kind. No recipes used in her kitchen-she cooks based on her 'sense' of what will be delicious and beautiful. (And what can be combined in a a MAGIC BULLET...she loves her infomercial finds!) She really produced some delectable meals during our visit and the following recipe is one I asked her to make twice I liked it so much. And I also made it first thing upon arriving back in Midwestia. I learn so much from watching her cook and this quick and inexpensive meal is a new favorite.



Flank Steak (1-1.25 lbs.)
Worcestershire sauce (I used 1/3 of a bottle)
Soy sauce (again, I used 1/3 of a bottle)
Flour (for dredging)
White wine (Mother-in-law says the cheaper the better)
2 cloves Garlic, chopped

1 Onion
1/2 container of mushrooms, sliced
1 large Potato(optional)
White wine
sour cream (optional)

Rice (best with long grain white basmati, but we enjoy it with short grain brown rice.)

Start to cook rice.
Slice flank steak into very thin pieces. Put sliced beef in a bowl and add enough soy sauce and worcestershire sauce to cover (ratio of soy to worcestershire sauce is 1:1) Add a splash of dry white wine to marinade. Marinate for at least 20 minutes, up to one day.

(To my vegetarian friends, I apologize for the carnage in this post both in prose and in pictures!!!)

During marinating process prepare mushroom/onion mixture:
Slice onion into thin rings. Cook over med-high heat for 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. (you have the option here to add thinly sliced potatoes and cook until tender.) Add sliced mushrooms. Add salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Add 2-3 white wine splashes.

Cook until alcohol smell is gone and liquid is mostly reduced. Lower heat to low.

Remove meat from marinade and coat with flour.
Heat oil in large sautée pan over med-high heat. Cook steak in small batches, adding garlic cloves and splash of white wine to each batch.

(sorry this photo is so unappetizing...believe me, it looks so tasty when it's all assembled!)

Cook until browned and crispy.

Top cooked rice with beef, then with mushroom mixture. (Prof. Hubs prefers to mix in a large dollop of sour cream (of course) before eating.)

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment