Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Festival of Lights

It's that time of year again: Chanukah!
In my family Chanukah is synonymous with Latkes. Usually my Dad (though on occasion, my Mom) prepares them annually to celebrate
this. As a child I used to invite a friend or two over (usually non-Jewish friends as there weren't a large number of other Jewish families in our town) to light the candles, eat latkes, exchange gifts, and play dreidel. One of these childhood friends wrote to me a couple of days ago requesting that I write a post divulging the secrets of my family's famous Latkes. It warmed my heart in the most wonderful way that she remembered: how amazing to think that the little Chanukkah dinner we shared as children stuck with her after all this time. In her honor I dedicate this:

The Famous Family Latkes
(From the complete American-Jewish cookbook, edited by Anne London and Bertha Kahn Bishov, 1971)

6 medium potatoes
1 small onion
2 eggs slightly beaten
3 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Peel and grate potatoes and onion.

Let stand 10 minutes so liquid will rise to top. Remove liquid.

Stir in eggs.

Add other ingredients.

Drop by spoonfuls into hot, well-greased skillet. (my Dad uses canola oil)

Brown on both sides.

Drain on absorbent paper.

Serve hot with applesauce, or sour cream. (I like both)



1 comment:

  1. I am touched! These latkes (plus a few Hebrew lessons from Jen Finn) made me think I had been born into the wrong religion. Send my love to the family. Happy Chanukah, old friend!

    ReplyDelete