Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Here's to the ladies who lunch...

I have always been somewhat confounded by lunch-I'm never quite hungry enough for a big meal so soon after breakfast but if I have a light lunch I'm often starving by 4pm. I think the solution for me is probably to do 2 mini meals-a smoothie at 1 and half a sandwich at 4 or something... In other words, more effective 'meal planning' which is yet another concept that leaves me confounded.
And then a whole other slew of meal shenanigans ensue: As a rule I don't like sandwiches. Now, like many rules, there are a few exceptions. One of the most delicious of which being my husband's incredible toasted turkey avocado sandwich. It's just perfection. In addition to my rule about sandwiches I also have a rule about not liking mayonnaise and yet again this turkey sandwich breaks that one as well...
PROFESSOR HUBS' TOASTED TURKEY AVOCADO SANDWICH
2 slices crusty bread (I like a sourdough whole wheat)
2 tsp mayonnaise
1/4 avocado
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
5 slices deli style turkey breast

Spread both slices of bread with a very, very thin layer of mayo. On one of the slices lay out the cheese slices. Put the decorated slices in the toaster oven or real oven (375) until the cheese gets melt-y. Remove slices from oven, spread the slice of toast without the cheese with the avocado. Arrange the turkey as you like on the cheese slice. Put them together and enjoy!!!
Note: this is even better when sliced on the diagonal

Variation 1: add sliced tomato and lettuce
Variation 2: add tomato, lettuce, bacon
Variation 3: add sliced green apple and an application of honey mustard on one slice bread in place of the mayonnaise

No comments:

Post a Comment