Monday, September 14, 2009

Big Apples


Let me give out a tip: If you try one new food this Autumn let it be a Mutsu apple (also known as a Crispin apple this side of Japan.) They are the crispest, sweetest with a bit-of-tart green apples in the world. I believe they are technically a kind of hybrid between Granny Smith and Golden Delcious but they possess only the deliciousness of those breeds with none of the negatives. They are also enormous and have often served as a light lunch to this Desperate Housediva with a a few pieces of the King of Cheddars: Montgomery's cheddar (a sharp, grassy, raw milk English cheddar with a cult following.)

I spent all of last week back in the Big Apple for an intense seven days of lessons, photoshoots, friends, and foods. The first whispers of Autumn were in the New York air and it made me nostalgic for the Green Market (NYC farmer's markets) of Fall. Specifically, the Mutsu/Crispin apples. I am very excited to take a day trip to one of Midwestia's local orchards to pick my own! And when I do, I will share with you the most wonderful of apple cake recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment