Saturday, June 12, 2010

Salad Days: Part II Thai Basil Salad




What I've been up to (that's kept me from sharing recipes:)

-Driving
-Travelling
-Honeymooning
-Beach combing
-Relaxing
-Reveling
-New Car-getting
-Eating
-Bonding
-Cooking
-Singing
-Shooting
-Loving
-Grieving
-Resting
-Nurturing
-Reminiscing
-Returning
-Connecting

...and infinite other gerunds...

As I mentioned in the last post, Prof. hubs and I have been feasting on the most delicious and filling of Summer Salads... This one is inspired by a salad that I ate after an exhausting day trekking through San Francisco with a friend in 2004... I have been craving it ever since. It's the perfect combination of flavors and textures-so refreshing, so toothsome, a bit spicy... Perfection.

And now, the second installment of my soon-to-be famous Salad posts:

THAI BASIL SALAD
(makes 2 huge portions or 4 regular...)
1/2 package asian rice noodles (pad thai noodles, vermicelli, etc.) cooked per package directions (use one handful or the whole amount-it's up to you and it's all good.)
2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
2 large handful of shredded cabbage (I just use the bag of pre shredded cole slaw mix)
5 thinly sliced red radishes
1 small handful shredded carrot (I just use the kind that's already in the bag of shredded cole slaw mix...)
1 peeled and cubed cucumber
1 mango, diced
8 grape tomatoes, halved
small handful chopped peanuts
small handful of each of the following herbs, chopped:
scallions, basil, mint, cilantro
Protein of your choice (I like grilled steak but sauteed tofu is lovely for a vegan choice as is chicken or shrimp as a steak alternative...)

Combine all ingredients and toss with dressing. Enjoy!!!

SALAD DRESSING
Juice of 4 limes
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
2 Tbsp water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp Shriracha sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
4 Tbsp canola oil (or other light, flavorless vegetable oil)

Wisk to combine well.






No comments:

Post a Comment