Thursday, January 7, 2010

Vegetable Resolutions




I'm not one for New Year's resolutions-by the time December 31st rolls around I've rarely even considered my plans for the new year. However I do recognize the value of goal setting and creating healthy habits. After the richest of holiday feasts I like to amp up my vegetable intake. I figure that if I eat more vegetables I won't have any more room in my tummy for fatty foods and sweets... Following the richest of indulgences I have been known to eat a dinner or two a week of just beautifully prepared vegetables. Sometimes the body needs a bit of a digestive break from the heavy, complicated foods of the holidays. My favorite veggies include a whole roasted Sweet potato (wrap in foil, bake at 400 for 1-1.5 hours,) roasted brussels sprouts or asparagus (toss with olive oil, s&p, put on baking sheet, bake at 400 for 20 min,) and my new veggie fave: garlicky breadcrumbs cauliflower. To me this cauliflower preparation is a nice substitute for my breadcrumbs pasta. (Though low-carb people take note: it's not low carb. It's cooked in breadcrumbs. But it is lower carb than pasta cooked in bread crumbs...)
It's a lovely side dish to fish or chicken, or enjoy it as I do: part of an all vegetable feast.


GARLICKY BREADCRUMBS CAULIFLOWER

1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves of garlic, minced
olive oil
1/4, up to 3/4 Cups breadcrumbs
S&P

In a large saucepan add cauliflower, cover with water and a some shakes of salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until cauliflower is tender-about 8 minutes. Drain well.

In a large, nonstick sautée pan, heat olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant and golden. Add breadcrumbs. Well combine garlic oil and breadcrumbs. Add cauliflower and toss to coat.

I like to allow the mixture to stay for a minute or two in place-in order to create a nice crispy crust of crumbs on the cauliflower (this can only be done in a nonstick pan.) Add S&P to taste. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Just made this- so, so, SO delicious!!! :)

    I've been looking for ways to spice up my veggies too- thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete